(click the + for dropdown)
+ Camp Costs/Installment Plans/Refunds
Commuter: $375 (includes lunch) Boarder: HS $625, MS $595
All registered Participants receive a camp shirt.
REFUNDS: If a student is unable to attend camp, refunds will be made on the following schedule.
- Prior to June 1: Full refund minus $50 application and processing fee
- June 1 – 30: Tuition (Commuter Cost) portion only refunded
- After July 1st: No refunds
We accept installment payments under the following schedule:
- $150 for the first payment (plus a one time convenience fee of $18)
- $170 Due May 10, 2017
- $170 Due June 10, 2017
- Remaining balance Due July 1, 2017
You MUST choose pay by check for the first installment payment.
- Camp spots will NOT be confirmed until initial payment is recieved.
- Bills will then be sent 10 days before the payment is due with a Paypal button for payment, however you may still choose to mail a check.
- Refunds follow the same policy as above.
Full payment MUST be made by July 1, 2017
Please make checks out to:
The Four Hornsmen
Mail checks to:
Honors Horn Camp
c/o Gerald Wood
1205 Glade Road
Colleyville, TX 76034
*If you are paying by installment, your first payment will be:
$158 ($150 + $18 convenience fee)
*This is a new policy and might have a few kinks in it so please bear with us....
There is NO audition in order to be accepted at the Honors Horn Camp. As long as space is available, all who apply are accepted. HOWEVER, all high school students (there is no audition required for middle school students) MUST play for us to determine their quartet/ensemble assignment so that we may ensure the best possible experience for all campers. There are two opportunities for us to hear you. The first will be a recording sent no later than July 1st and the second will be a live audition Sunday evening.
Recording Audition Guidelines:
- Must be a video recording (can be from phone or webcam)
- Say your name, your grade and what you will perform for us.
- Perform 2-3 minutes max of music. It can be from a solo or region competition.
- Perform full-range chromatic scale. It does not have to be for memory nor a certain tempo. We are just listening for range.
Live Audition Guidelines:
- Prepare selected orchestra excerpts and play them for the Four Hornsmen.
- Perform a short sight-reading exercise.
+ Supervision and Housing
In addition to the superb teaching of professional horn players, UTA Honors Horn Camp counselors will help guide and supervise campers in all camp activities. Counselors are experienced and trained junior, senior and graduate-level college students, supervised by an adult staff made up of music teachers and professional dormitory supervisors. As by state law, all that work with the students have been cleared by the State of Texas in background checks. Boarder students will be housed in Arlington Hall. This is the newest, premiere residence hall on the UTA campus.
All meals will take place in the Connection Café located in the E.H. Hereford University Center.
Borders: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner are provided as part of the registration.
Commuters Lunch is provided as part of the registration
+ What to Bring
- Cash for snacks, etc. throughout the week or you can bring snacks to keep in the dorms (all rooms have a mini-fridge).
- Automobile registration fee of $7 is required if you plan to leave/park a car on campus.
All campers must bring:
- Appropriate daytime clothing (shorts, tennis shoes, T-shirts, etc.)
- Due to the nature of Horn playing we must ask that skirts must go well below the knee and be appropriate when in a sitting position
- sunscreen and sunglasses, etc.
All boarders need to bring:
- towels and washcloths
- bed linens for twin size bed (some beds are twin XL)
Dorms are set up like small apartments with a shared living room and bathroom and three private bedrooms. Internet is available as well as a mini-fridge. Campers can request up to two additional roommates to share a dorm on the registration form.
+ Rehearsal and Class Needs
All Campers must bring:
- Instrument and case (clearly marked with your name)
- Wire music stand (clearly marked with name)
- A watch or some means of keeping track of time
Classes could include:
- History of the Horn
- Horn Maintenance and Repair
- Famous Horns and Excerpts
- Low Horn/High Horn
- Marching Horn Survival 101
- Horn Theory
- Extended Horn Techniques (lip trills, stopped/muted horn, flutter tongue, multi-phonics, etc.)
- Audition Prep
+ Evening Activities
All campers are encouraged to participate in the evening activities. These fun activities allow campers to bond with each other outside of horn/music. Commuter students must notify the camp secretary if they want to participate in the evening activities to ensure there are enough tickets or supplies. Commuters will also need to make sure they have dinner on the days they stay for the evening activities and a ride home at the later time.
Students traveling to the Dallas Fort Worth area by plane may either fly into DFW International Airport (15 minutes from UTA) or Love Field (45 minutes from UTA). For questions regarding ground transportation to and from the airport or extra hotel accommodations, please contact the camp secretary, Molly Wood (email@example.com).
+ Health and Medical Forms
Required Forms Several medical and privacy forms are required for campers to participate. Links to these files can be found on the camp home page soon. See page one of this packet for a list of required forms. Treatment Emergency illness or injury accidents should be brought to the attention of faculty or counselors immediately. If medical attention is necessary, arrangements for treatment will be made with University Health Services. Should any medical services be necessary, a staff member will accompany the student to the appropriate facility and contact the parent or guardian. Insurance Parental insurance will be the primary coverage for services incurred at any of the local hospitals or medical facilities. The UTA Music Camps insurance will be a secondary coverage that coordinates with your primary coverage. Prescription Medicines Students taking prescription drugs should notify camp administrators in writing concerning the specific medicine, dosage, and frequency of medication. If detailed information is required, please attach a separate sheet to the Medical Release Form. Failure to adhere to this policy will be considered a violation of university drug policies and may result in suspension from camp without refund.
- Consent to Treat Form
- Notice of Privacy Practice
- Release and Indemnification for Minors
- Photographic Consent and Release Form
+ Attendence and Behavior
Attendance is required at all sessions. The extremely concentrated schedule for the week requires timely attendance at all classes and rehearsals so that the week can run as smoothly as possible. University classes are being held during the day, so students are asked to be quiet and courteous in changing classes inside the buildings. Commuting students who need to leave campus and/or miss a class must have written permission from their parent/guardian. Boarders may not leave campus at any time without the prior written permission of their parent/guardian and either the Senior Resident Counselor or the Camp Director's prior consent. Violations of these rules will be cause for immediate dismissal from camp. The University and camp faculty and staff members will not be responsible for any property damage or student injuries to those who violate this rule. A detailed list of camp rules will be distributed at camp check-in. It is our goal to provide a fun and enjoyable camp experience in an educational setting. Students are expected to exhibit acceptable behavior at all times in the dorm, rehearsals, and classes. Any student whose behavior becomes a distraction or is detrimental to the camp experience of others will receive one warning concerning their unacceptable behavior. A second offense may result in expulsion from camp. No refunds of any fees or deposit will be made to any student who is sent home for disciplinary reasons. Students should dress appropriately. Inappropriate clothing or clothing with offensive slogans will not be tolerated.
QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS? Should you have any questions that cannot be answered by this FAQ:
Please contact: Summer Camp Associate Director (Molly Wood): EMAIL